Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Find the courage and just go!

My Swedish homework for this past week was to learn 5 sentences by heart. Well, I kinda skimped on my homework, as in, I did the bare minimum for about 10 minutes last night. Didn't listen to the CD, repeating everything 10 times. Didn't re-organize my notes the way I want to. Level 4 procrastination.

The bigger thing was what did I want to be able to say? What is worth knowing by heart? My name is? I'm from? I live in the city centre? My husband works for Volvo? Not terribly useful phrases. I have this ongoing thing with myself that I want to be able to go into a café and order a coffee like a local. Stor kaffe med mjölk isn't quite it. Coffee aside, I needed stamps.

So I google translated my sentence and took it to class this morning. Had it corrected. Practised it all afternoon. Jag skulle vilja ha seks tolvKr frimärken. I would like 6 12krown stamps. Waited my turn at the post window, and away I went: Jag skulle vilja ha etc. He gets the stamps! I pull out my already calculated 72 Kr, and then he says what I think was 'would you like air mail stickers too'? and I blew my cover. Um yes, that would be nice.

GRRR - so close to pulling it off in Swedish and yet so far. Better luck next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment