Wednesday, August 18, 2010

skol

We've now toured both of the kids' schools. Elizabeth's was yesterday. It's enormous and she was, quite frankly, overwhelmed. There are 3 buildings, 4 if you count the temporary canteen (they're rebuilding the kitchen at the one on the property), and it's very hogwarts-like. When I was here in April, we got to see the teachers' lounge. It's like something out of an English hunting lodge. Hardwood floors, high ceilings with mouldings, a fireplace, club chairs. More like a gentlemen's club than a staff room. The steps in the stairwells are slate (I think) and they have wows in the middle of them from so many feet over the years (300 give or take). Andrew's school had a much friendlier feel when we were there today. Photos on the walls. Small rooms. Less labyrinth-like and only 1 building for most of his subjects. His homeroom is 229. He will have electives every other Tuesday from 9 - 10, 3 of which are choir, band, and astronomy. He will do wood-working as his 'tech'. The gym is up the road in the primary school, but we didn't manage to find it. There's a hike for another day. Andrew doesn't worry about stuff ahead of time. He'll have a meltdown once the work starts. Everything's fine for Sprout at this point. Except that he's currently losing his video game.
This will be a tough week for Elizabeth - it's the not knowing. She starts at 8:30 next Monday, as does Andrew, and will be 1 of 85 new kids. Only 15 of those are coming across from Andrew's school, ISGR, so she'll be in the same boat as many others. I think what she liked about ISGR was that it was small and friendly and there was the chance of extracurriculars or music and drama. When we asked her tourguide, a grade 12 student named Dawson from Turkey, if there were any extracurriculars at Hvitfeldska, Dawson's answer was, well, last year I did extra Chemistry. Her school is very academic, but I'm sure she'll find things to do other than hw once she gets going. We're looking for dance schools, for example. And she wants to do yoga.
My schedule starts next week too. Far as I'm concerned, I have to consider all PTA stuff mandatory. If I don't put myself out there, I won't make any new friends. I hate putting myself out there when I'm the new guy. Reaching out when you're etablished is much easier than hoping somebody finds enough value in you to start the conversation next time. Anyway, I start bright and early Monday morning with the PTA & coffee at 9 at ISGR. Friday, I have culture training with the Relocation service. The 31st, there is a coffee and walk with the PTA somewhere I haven't located on a map yet.
Here's to coffee and putting myself out there...

2 comments:

  1. So enjoy reading these, Val! You are all going to do great! Looking forward to the next chapter.... :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girlfriend

    If anyone can put themselves out there, I know you can. As for the kids, they'll be fine, they have you for a MOM

    ReplyDelete