Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Fika

I'm quite sure I spelled Fika wrong. What it is is the Swedish equivalent of English afternoon tea. Sort of. Coffee and cookies, that kind of thing, I think. Peter's office has Friday Fika each week, but he hasn't participated yet. They tend to sit down to visit at about 2:30, then head for home once they're done. Early start to the weekend?
Today, A&E&I fika'd at a nice Konditorei beside the lower canal. We sat outside because inside spaces tend to be overheated. Andrew had something like a cake version of banana cream pie. I had tea with a lovely cinnamon danish, and Elizabeth, feeling quite virtuous is saving her pastry-points for tomorrow when we have plans to go to the island of Marstrand where, from what I've read, there is a very nice bakery.
Not a very busy day so far. We did a big hike to find the other branch of ISGR so Andrew would know where he goes when he has gym, and we bought agendas for both children. Here, everything is done by week. Skolstart is week 34. 1st week of holiday may be week 42. (Is that the 1st week of November?)
Peter's travel schedule has started which means that I will have to learn to drive. I was hoping to avoid driving, but I don't think there's a way around. What's nice for him (us) is that now we're here, he's gone for 3 days rather than a week, and there isn't the jetlag.
My pursuit of free wifi has landed me at the top of the road, sitting outside on a bench, hoping it doesn't rain. Apparently Gothenburgwireless has hotspots all over the city where you can wifi for free. I'm thinking maybe it's a hook to sign you up for a service e.g. we'll give you so many hours for free to test it out, then you have to start paying. Whatever - live free for today for tomorrow we may have to pay. I can live with that! (or if you're a Popeye fan, I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today).

No comments:

Post a Comment