Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 6 - lighting options

Over the peninsula (it isn't an island because it will be attached to the wall), we need 2 hanging pendants. We've cruised websites and wandered around lighting stores. I'm not really falling in love with anything. Some of them are too big; some have exposed lightbulb filaments which bother my eyes. What to do...
A couple of years ago, when we were in Niagara-on-the-Lake in December, there was a magnificent chandelier in the front window of a shop. It was made of old silver cutlery and teacups. They wanted a fortune for it, and we weren't in the fortune business, so the light stayed in the shop, but I never forgot it.
Today I found a similar one at Anthropologie at Yorkdale. If you've been in, it's near the back, very tarnished, but very distinctive. Unfortunately, I think it's too big for our space. Top to bottom, not including the hanging chain, I think it's about 3 feet long. We only have 8 ft ceilings. How high above a counter is a hanging light supposed to be?
After getting home, I hit the internet and discovered that there's a company out of Tennesee called Cake Vintage that makes teacup chandeliers and spoondeliers. I love the teacups, but I think they'd be too big. The spoondelier, on the other hand, has possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment