Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Glögg for breakfast

Lycka 12-12-12! Today is a big day here in Sverige. Either that, or the day before Lucia is a very big day. The stores are insanely busy. There are tables set up all over the place offering passersby free cups of glögg.
This morning, I slept in, which never happens. I was supposed to meet Al at 10:15 at le Pain Francais near our old flat. My plan was to arrive there about 10 so I could enjoy a cup of their St Tropez tea. Instead, I woke up at 10:20, didn't have Al's cell number to ring her and explain, and the next hour included a lot of panicked dashing about, but no breakfast. When we did manage to connect an hour later, we set off to shop, and it wasn't until I was standing in the never-ending line at Johanssons waiting to pay for my äggostform (when I picked up #74, they were serving 35) at 10 minutes to 1pm that a salesclerk offered glögg and pepparkakor to the customers waiting in line. Ah breakfast, Christmas in Sweden style.

No comments:

Post a Comment