Monday, November 15, 2010

hits & misses

This is the long answer to the short question from my friend Leslie. Leslie asked me what the best thing is about Sweden and what I miss the most. So here, in no particular order and with my usual lack of brevity, is my answer.

Best: (the hits)
• the League of Extraordinary, Strong, Resilient women I have met here. They know. They get it. They are clever and inclusive. There is always room for one more. They are full of suggestions. They are, in a word, amazing.

• the pace of life. It's a lot slower yet I still find ways to fill the day. Peter and I will take an hour on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have coffee in the cafĂ© in the next block. Ostensibly we go to read, but we end up planning something or just catching up. I go out for lunch at least once a week. Most days I take myself for a walk, and there's an art exhibit I've been meaning to get to. I could walk Andrew to and from school most days if he wanted me to. It took her a while, but Elizabeth in particular likes not dancing 24/7. She has time to go for fika with her friends after school, go to the gym, and not rush her hw. As far as she's concerned, the only 2 things missing from Sweden are Payless and 5bucks.

•Oslo. All the travel is good, but Oslo was pure magic.

•the back stairs and the attic because they're a trip through time

• my tvättstuga (laundry room). It's no bigger than a closet, but an excellent use of space. Has everything you need in it. I wish I had one at home

•automatic doors. They're on everything. Except the doors to our building and the one for swedish class

Misses…
• I miss leading. I did a lot of good at home. I helped to create a lot of happy. I have yet to find ways to do that here - lead, give back, create.

• Crisco. I don't like baking with butter. Stuff runs - it doesn't keep its shape the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment