Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Canadian Conundrum

What does it mean to be Canadian?

I'm not the first to ask, and I know I won't be the last. But here in this mix of internationalism where we live, it's a hard question to answer. Do you have any Canadian wedding traditions. Um no. Open bar? How about Canadian Christmas. Well, it depends what part of the country you're from and what culture your heritage is. How do I explain that to be Canadian means being modest to the point of underplaying yourself so badly you seem unsuccessful. It means being open-minded to the point of appearing wishywashy. It means trying really hard never to piss people off because you are polite.

Does it also mean an affinity for pinetrees, lakes, and plaid flannel? Maybe if you're from Northern Ontario. Intravenous maple syrup? Shareholder in Tim Hortons? Love / hate relationship with hockey, winter, mosquitoes, and interminable road construction? Does it go unsaid that you are respected internationally for your peace-keeping efforts and general willingness to help out?

Andrew has to take "Canadian" breakfast to school on Thursday. What on earth is he going to bring? Joe Canadian does not eat back bacon on a daily basis. We eat Special K. Eggos. That's Canadian (are they back in the stores yet or does the national Eggo waffle shortage continue?) Now where on earth in Sweden am I going to find a class-set of Eggo waffles?

The best way to sum it up is as follows: Enjoy and please feel free to post your (polite) opinion.

Joe Canadian Rant
copyright Molson Canadian Beer Company, April 2000


Hey, I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader....
I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled....
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a president.
I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, not policing,
diversity, not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed' !!!!

Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
and the best part of North America

My name is Joe!!
And I am Canadian!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment